University Community

Learn how the process works, from disclosure to product!

What if I want to use someone else’s copyright in my research?

Most research activities should be covered by the fair dealing exception.  This exception provides that you can use a work for research or private study purposes, provided your use is a ‘fair dealing’.  To make sure your use of the work is considered fair, you should try to limit your use to only what is strictly necessary for your purposes. Sometimes a good guide to what is fair is to ask yourself whether you would be comfortable with someone else using your work in the same way. If you’re not sure, contact the Catalyst Centre for more information.

Can I copy material I find on the Internet?

Whether or not you can copy materials from the Internet depends on what the material is and what you want to do with it. Don’t assume that just because the material is available for free on the internet that it’s free to use as you wish. Most online material is protected by copyright. Check the website terms and conditions, often found under sections such as ‘Terms of Use’ or ‘Legal Notices’, to see whether the website owner permits you to reproduce material found on the site and whether any conditions apply.  If nothing is specified, you may only copy the material if you fall within one of the Act’s exceptions or you should contact the website owner for permission.


Do I need permission to link to someone’s website?

No, but to be safe, you should only link to the normal entry points of the website (i.e., the home page) and make sure that the webpage opens up in a different browser window.  This will avoid any suggestion that the website is your own material or that your website is somehow affiliated with the other site. You should also check the website’s ‘Terms of Use’ section to see whether it has any specific linking prohibitions.

Can I scan material and post it online?

Generally, scanning material and posting it online is not permitted unless you have the copyright owner’s permission or are covered by one of the Act’s exceptions. It is not covered by the educational exemption.  Therefore, unless you fall within the fair dealing exception, you should obtain the copyright owner’s consent.  Contact the Library for assistance in determining what you can post online, and for obtaining permission when required.

Can I post other people’s works on my personal website?

If you want to use other people’s images or works, and your use doesn’t fall under the fair dealing exception, you will need to ask for their consent. Alternatively, if the material is simply being used for decoration or entertainment purposes, you may wish to consider using Creative Commons material. This is material such as art or music, which the copyright owner allows you to use for free, subject to certain terms and conditions.

Can I use the University logo on my personal website?

No. You should be aware that under University policies, you cannot use any University trademarks on personal websites without the University’s consent. For more information about use of the University’s name and logo, read the University’s Graphics Standards Guide and contact the website management team listed in the guide.