Learn how the process works, from disclosure to product!
Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO)
United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
The USPTO provides a full database of pending and issued United States patents, as well as detailed information on trademarks and copyright.
Patent Lens is a useful worldwide, free full-text patent information resource. It can be used to search worldwide patent applications, as well as to search patents for genetic sequence information.
A Guide to Intellectual Property for Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Scholars
This guide is a product of the Canadian Association for Graduate Studies and provides a good overview and resource for graduate students.
There are several opportunities for funding for new ideas and projects, as well as opportunities for ‘proof-of-principle’ research, meant to advance the commercial potential of a new invention.
Internal funding opportunities include:
OMAFRA Proof of Principle awards are made from funds provided to the Catalyst Centre from OMAFRA’s share of commercialization revenues. They are intended to support the cost of research that will advance a previously disclosed invention towards commercialization. To be eligible, projects must meet the following criteria:
- Research must fit within one of OMAFRA’s strategic research themes
- Expected outcomes must increase the likelihood of commercial success
- Project must relate to a previously disclosed invention, assigned to U of G
- Project should be of short duration (6-12 months)
- Maximum project value is $50,000, but most will be smaller
Catalyst Centre staff are available for consultation on whether your project could qualify.
External funding opportunities include:
- Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation – Innovation Demonstration Fund
- National Sciences and Engineering Research Council – Idea to Innovation (NSERC i2i)
- NSERC – Engage Grants
- NSERC – Partnerships
- NSERC – Synergy Awards for Innovation
- OCE Collaborative Research Projects
- OCE Interact
- OCE Proof of Concept
- OCE Champions of Innovation
- Ontario Genomics Institute – Pre-commercialization Business Development Fund (OGI PBDF)
- Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) – Intellectual Property Development and Commercialization Program
- TiEQuest 2010 Business Venture Competition
Resources for starting a business
We have provided a wealth of information on starting a business in our Resources for Business Start Up section.